Objectives of the Wigton Wind Farm
· Implementation of provisions of the Jamaica Energy Sector Policy regarding renewable energy resources.
· Diversification of Jamaica’s energy mix.
· Utilization of indigenous (sustainable) energy resources, especially the abundant supply of wind on the island.
· Technology transfer to Jamaica resulting in eventual local expertise and experience with a large-scale wind energy project.
· Emissions reduction
· Environmentally friendly use of mined land.
· Tangible and affirmative action from Jamaica as a signatory of the united Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCC), regarding the reduction of greenhouse gasses.
· Educational and research spin-off for the University of the West Indies (UWI), University of Technology (UTECH) and the Scientific Research Council (SRC).